Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rashes, Bruises and a Harness - Oh My!

     Yesterday I watched as one thing after another turned "weird" with Froggie.
     After several cooler days the temperatures crept back up into the 70's and are expected to keep rising. I noticed some red marks on Froggie's neck. Then they were on the back of her head and I could see them through her hair. Then they were EVERYWHERE.


     Heat rash...
     We had dealt with it last week when it was hot by sticking her in the tub and, simple as that, it was gone. Well at work there was no tub to put her in and it wasn't even that hot! I fed her to make sure she was well hydrated and she fell asleep nursing so I put her in her crib. She slept for awhile and woke up pretty happy but started to fuss shortly after waking. When I checked on her she yawned and I noticed a mark on her tongue!

The mark

     She had a legitimate bruise on her tongue! She doesn't even have any teeth yet! Don't get me wrong, my son cut teeth a few days after he turned 4 months old and Froggie is clearly working on at least one considering the amount of chewing and drool that I notice but there aren't any in there yet.
     The heat rash faded as she cooled off with a bath and some baby powder. I  haven't tried cornstarch yet, which was a recommendation from a Facebook group about Wheaton-Pavlik Harness. "The mark" faded as well, by this morning it was only a slight discoloration. It seems as though she clamped her tongue between her gums and bruised it. This apparently is very common though I don't recall it ever happening with Big Brother.
     I'm sure these are just the beginning of the bumps, bruises, marks and issues we will experience with Froggie but everything seems compounded by the harness. Especially the heat rash and we're in for some hot days for the remainder of the week!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for adding a photo of what happened to your baby! I just had my DD crying and noticed this same thing on her tongue, thinking could she have bit herself or did I make the formula too hot (which I've never done before, but this was the one day I did use the kettle to add hot water instead of using the bottle warmer). Happy that it wasn't me and that this will heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete