Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 5K Day

     Today was our 5K for the month of October. We headed out to Hermitage House to participate in their "Heart to Home" Festival. This is the 5th year they have done a 5K and even though I've been working with their art club for the last few years I have had a variety of reasons not to do the 5K. As part of my decision to do at least one 5K a month I knew that I would do this 5K this year.
     We came away with one of our best times (even though it wasn't the fastest overall). We finished in about 46 minutes AND Big Brother ran approximately half of it. This is the first time we've let him run more than a few hundred feet since our first 5K in July which took us over an hour to complete. We bought him brand new running shoes yesterday so he was REALLY ready to run this morning!
     It was nice to see a lot of people we haven't seen for awhile and I'm really proud that Big Brother likes to run. After the 5K there was live music, a chinese auction, hay rides, pony rides, games, food, and a lot more. We tried our luck at the chinese auction and Big Brother got to ride a horse for the second time in a month all while Froggie slept! She woke up briefly but did spend the majority of our morning asleep in the stroller.
     I must say that I have a new found appreciation for the people I see running along the side of the road! Today's 5K was ran primarily on dirt roads and the side of the road. It's A LOT harder to run in the dirt and over rocks and dips than it is to run on the pavement. Hubby thinks he bruised his foot because he's still getting accustomed to his Vibrams.
     We did a lot of running around this afternoon and the kids were exhausted this evening. I'm finding that the more time we spend out and about the harder it is for me to stay awake in the evenings and I've been falling asleep holding Froggie quite a bit.
     Right now she's keeping me company snuggled up on the couch cushion beside me. I suppose at some point she will have to sleep in her crib but I love snuggling her so much and it's nice not to have to worry that when she wakes up to eat that she'll wake up Big Brother too.

Before the race

Our view while we ran

Running with a 2 year old can be fun

Hubby and the stroller

After the race

Showing off his shirt and shoes w/a mouth full of banana 

Waiting to ride the horse

Going for a ride

He did a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment