Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Beautiful Weather, Pirate Baseball, LBM's and Government Shut Downs

     With the temperatures in the low 70's I'm starting to wonder if Fall decided to take a vacation. I'm not going to complain about it though and it makes for beautiful afternoons.
     So I decided to walk the kids to the park furthest from our house so that I could get in some exercise and they could play. It was a nice walk and Froggie fell asleep while Big Brother tried to point me in the direction of the park every couple minutes. Hubby met us there and we enjoyed the park for a little while. I decided that I also wanted to take pictures of the kids.
     Big Brother went first and I had to bribe him with the offer of a new cup to get him to participate. Luckily I pulled his camel back bottle out of the cupboard and he doesn't remember the 1 other time he used it so he was really excited about his new water bottle.
     Froggie was up and she really liked playing in the grass and trying to eat it. Hubby and I were pulling her hands away from her mouth the entire time and she would crawl a little then sit back up with a handful of grass. At one point she found a mushroom, an LBM to be exact. LBM stands for Little Brown Mushroom and covers any small brown mushroom since they all look the same. This is good and bad. Good because they're common so we were able to find another very close to the one she grabbed to have. Bad because not only did she find a LBM she was chewing on it... LBM's range from harmless to poisonous and after 15 minutes of searching for the type of mushroom on the internet I found a site about LBM's.
     After reading a little I decided we should probably take Froggie in to the ER to be checked out since I didn't know which type of LBM she had chewed on and I wasn't sure if she'd actually swallowed any of it since I had nearly gaged her trying to get all the little pieces out of her mouth. Big Brother didn't want to leave the park and, honestly, we were pretty abrupt in our decision to go. Once we got in the car I had Hubby call poison control (I didn't immediately think about poison control for a mushroom, but I'm glad we called).
     The woman was really very calm and nice. She was patient when Hubby asked to put her on speaker phone so that I could hear what she had to say. She was very insistent that we didn't need to go to the ER (yet) and that observation would be suitable for the time being. We were instructed to look for vomiting, diarrhea, signs of nausea and abnormal behavior. If we noticed any of these things in the next 24 hours we were directed to contact her doctor/head to the ER.
     When we started unloading the car at home Hubby tossed my picked mushroom into the yard (I almost strangled him!) and then started kicking around the grass for it when I explained that we should keep it until we know that she isn't going to have to go to the doctors. I was pretty angry that he hadn't even thought about keeping it until we knew Froggie was ok (it must have been a mom moment) but after asking where he had thrown it from I picked up something of a similar weight and tossed it from the same spot and TADA mushroom found... It's now in it's own little bag in the fridge until about 6:30 tomorrow evening.
     Froggie has been fine so far but I will probably still not sleep much tonight since I'll be in observation mode... At least now I have the blog to work on and Pirates baseball to watch while Froggie sleeps in Hubby's lap. The Pirates are in the playoffs for the first time since I was 11 and they're holding strong so far! I wore my Pirates gear to work today and if Hubby didn't have to wear his uniform and I wasn't afraid that Big Brother would ruin his Jersey EVERYONE would have had pirates gear on today. Big Brother did sport his Pirates hat, which is amazing since he rarely wants to wear anything but his Lightening McQueen hat.
     Speaking of uniforms... Hubby is still heading into work though some of his civilian co-workers have been sent home. If you weren't aware the federal government shut down today it has... lots of things are closed or have lost funding/priority. If Hubby's school schedule wasn't up in the air before it is now and we're back to waiting to see what's going to happen.
     Ok... That's enough for now, I'm off to obsessively stare at Froggie for the rest of the night!

Climbing at the playground

My favorite!

Love this little girl!

My cute crawling girl

Chasing my camera

Mushroom Mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment