Monday, September 9, 2013

Making "Puffs"

     I decided to be brave and try my hand at making puffs. (I feel like I should mention the last time I tried making baby snacks they didn't turn out well at all) So I checked out a bunch of posts online and decided on the recipe that required the fewest ingredients. This recipe also didn't require sugar while most of the others did (and if you look at the ingredient list on puffs there's sugar in those too).
     So I'm using the recipe from The Happy Lil' Homemaker which calls for Rice cereal (2 cups), pureed baby food (2 table spoons) and water (1/4 cup). I chose to use a fun flavor and picked Apples and Cherries.


     As I started working on my concoction I quickly realized that there was not nearly enough liquid to mix everything together. I ended up doubling the water and using an entire jar of baby food. 


     This made a pretty nice dough and I decided to attempt to spread my dough out on my wax paper lined cookie sheet and then take a pizza cutter to it. The dough was pretty sticky and a lot of it collected on the cookie cutter so I'll have to see how it actually worked when they came out of the oven. (If you have the time or tools to do tiny dots of dough do it! I'm sure it'll save you the work of trying to cut everything apart once it comes out of the oven but I'm impatient.)


     Well, here's the bad news... my "puffs" didn't turn out. After 40 minutes in the oven the top was baked but the inside looked a little like oatmeal still and EVERYTHING was stuck to the wax paper. In retrospect I suppose you have to follow the directions exactly to know if it's going to work and I may try it again in the future (or a different recipe). Honestly though, I didn't think these were very flavorful. Good for a baby who doesn't have a real understanding of flavor maybe but I don't think Big Brother would have been happy with these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment