Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Eruption Hematoma?

     It's time to add another oddity to our list of medical concerns/injuries. This time it's not Big Brother with the bruise - it's Froggie! My baby girl is 6 1/2 months old and has just had a rough go with teething (compared to Big Brother). Her first two teeth came in amidst a TON of drool and frequent orajel dosages but they have come in completely and she hasn't seemed to have a problem since they broke through. We've been expecting her top incisors to break through any day since she's got two big lumps where they should be, chews on EVERYTHING, and occasionally seems upset for no discernible reason. 
     Well, tonight she decided that she wanted to chew on me! She was sitting on my lap and kept leaning towards my knee. I would sit her back up and she would do it again. The last time she did this she actually reached my knee which startled me. Shortly after I lifted her up she cried for just a few seconds and that was that. 
     Until I noticed her gums about an hour later! She has a big purple spot on her upper gum where her right incisor should be coming through. First thing was first I had hubby hold her so we could check it out and take pictures. I typically take pictures of any injuries involving bruising so that I can monitor whether it's getting better or worse in the hours/day following the incident that caused it. I also decided to search the internet a little. 
     I found Eruption Hematoma and Eruption Cyst as results that looked like Froggie's mouth; however, the description of an Eruption Cyst didn't seem to fit since they seem to be "squishy" with fluid build up. For all I know they may be different names for the same thing... Since she seems to be unfazed by the bruising and is eating fine I probably will just take a "wait and see" approach since she has a doctors appointment next week unless, of course, the bruise gets worse or sticks around for more than a few days. 
     Anyone have any experience with something like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment