Sunday, February 23, 2014

What No One Tells you After Treatment


     While the pool of information about Hip Dysplasia is pretty small the information regarding the normal expectations of kids following treatment is almost nonexistent. This means that, no matter how much research you do or what you read, there is always some degree of doubt as to whether your child is supposed to meet milestones regarding mobility on track with their peers once the harness, brace, or cast comes off.
     While Froggie seemed to be meeting milestones rolling and crawling regardless of her time in the harness she hadn't shown much interest in walking (especially walking unassisted) or in standing up by herself. I really didn't think too much of it until Hubby said "Should we be worried that she's not walking yet?" the other day. At that point I realized that my answer was "I don't know". 
     If you know me you know that "I don't know" doesn't sit well with me; I have a ton of fairly useless knowledge stored away and I will look for the answer if I don't know it. However, with this issue, there is no looking up the answer. I decided not to panic about it and to call her doctor next month if she still wasn't walking (since she is supposed to be walking before her next X-ray and that is scheduled for April). Noah started walking right when he turned one and all kids are different so I wasn't overly concerned that she wasn't walking yet. 
     Well she showed us that she was just waiting until she was good and ready. Thursday she walked across the room and got us all excited. She wouldn't do it again though so I couldn't take pictures/video. Friday though, she walked all over the place and she hasn't stopped moving since!

Froggie was bit by the walking bug!

2 comments:

  1. I just want you to know how I enjoyed reading your blog today. Our six month old daughter was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia and put in a Pavlik Harness two days ago. It has been an adjustment for all of us and I cant wait for my baby girl to be done with the treatment. Your family is beautiful and thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for your comments. I hope that treatment goes smoothly for your daughter and that the transition is a smooth one.

      Delete