Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Wearing a Froggie - Ergobaby

     Before my daughter got her harness she liked to be worn in a carrier. I had a Moby Wrap and sling from my son and she loved the Moby instantly when I pulled it out when she was a few weeks old. It was nice to have use of both hands while she was content and knowing that her hips were being evaluated we decided to splurge on an Ergobaby carrier. This carrier looks kind of like a padded piece of fabric with backpack type straps and it holds the baby in a position which keeps their body's positioned properly with little effort.
     I Love my Moby Wrap but I can't ever seem to get it on quickly or without getting it dirty and it's just A LOT of fabric to carry around and maneuver when you first put it on. I never seemed to master tying it so that I could just leave it on and take baby in and out. I'm sure if I could get her in properly the Moby would be great for keeping Froggie in the right position but I typically do a lot of wiggling and bending to get she or my son into the wrap and the harness makes that difficult.
     Enter the Ergobaby. I decided to try it today because I had 45 minutes to waste before meeting my husband and decided to take the kids to the zoo. (I might add that the zoo was also only open for 45 minutes when we got there.) It was quick to grab the carrier and let my 2 year old walk so that's what we did. I didn't have to wiggle her or jostle her I simply got her out of her car seat, held her against my belly and put on the shoulder straps. I'm not even sure she woke up through the process. 


My kids and I at the zoo

     The International Hip Dysplasia Institute recommends that harness' and slings support baby's thigh and keep the hip stable with baby's legs spread. See the info here. I've heard mixed information about which products are recommended and it seems to be a matter of preference as long as the wrap/sling/carrier supports the baby the same way they are positioned by the harness.

Froggie in our Ergobaby while wearing her harness.

No comments:

Post a Comment